How To Draw a Hippo (Hippopotamus)
In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Hippopotamus in 8 easy steps. This Free step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of the Hippo.
This is a simple lesson designed for beginners and kids with real easy to follow steps. Feel free to print this page and use as a drawing tutorial.
Here are some fun facts about the Hippo you might find interesting.
- The Hippo is a herbivorous mammal.
- It is found in the sub-Saharan Africa region.
- Despite its stocky shape and short legs, it can easily outrun a human.
- The Hippopotamus is one of the most aggressive creatures in the world and is often regarded as the most ferocious animal in Africa.
- Their specific gravity allows them to sink and walk or run along the bottom of a river.
Step 1: Start by drawing the forehead.
Step 2: Draw the top of where the eye will be.
Step 3: Draw the ear and the top of the body.
Step 4: Add more to the back and the beginning of the front legs.
Step 5: Draw the underbelly.
Step 6: Complete the legs and feet.
Step 7: Add the second set of legs.
Step 8: Draw in the final details to finish the Hippopotamus in 8 Steps.
Here’s a 1:30 video showing you how to draw a Hippopotamus using paper and a pencil.